The “C” in C-Store?
What does the “C” stand for in C-Store?
Most would answer Convenience. While that may have indeed been the origin of the term C-Store, it is worth considering whether C-Stores have outgrown their lineage. Perhaps the “C” in today’s C-Stores stands for Complex.
Think about it. Sundries on the shelves. A variety of beverages, alcoholic or not, in coolers. Fresh Food. Coffee bars. An increasing focus on food service. Fuel. Tobacco. And all of this with far less staff in the store than other retailers.
C-Stores also deal with much of the same complexity and challenges as retailers in other verticals:
- High rates of turnover and high training costs
- State and municipal legislation that is raising wage rates while constraining shift flexibility
- Attempting to provide a consistent brand experience across 100s of stores
- Maintaining compliance and a safe environment for customers and associates
- A proliferation of systems facing stores that distract associates from assisting customers
To deal with this complexity, C-Stores are investing in solutions to simplify execution in their stores and to optimize their labor spend. We have seen the increasing pace of this investment at Reflexis with 5 leading C-Store retailers making new investments in our solutions in the last 6 months.
So next time you’re in a C-Store, consider what the “C” really stands for.