Store associates lead complicated lives. You can write a weekly or monthly labor schedule ahead of time, but if something comes up – someone in the family gets sick, a child needs to be picked up from a game; your perfectly scheduled store associate may not show up, disrupting smooth store operations.
Dealing with employee requests and notifications such as:
- I’m sick
- What does my schedule look like for next week?
- How much Paid Time Off do I have?, or
- Can I swap a shift with Susan?
…add hours to store managers’ workload. Instead of store and department managers spending time editing labor schedules and responding to requests, your store associates should have the freedom and the tools to control their schedules within business rules.
With Reflexis Employee Self-Service™ (ESS), associates have a degree of control over their schedules. Our solution allows associates to take a first pass at adjusting their schedules to fit their needs. Let’s see how this can play out in real life:
- Chris is scheduled to work on Monday evening, but finds out that he has an exam on Tuesday morning that he needs to study for. What can he do? He logs in to the ESS mobile app and either advertises that he has a shift that needs to be filled or looks for someone who wants to take on an additional shift. Maybe Caila wants extra hours to help her save for an upcoming vacation. Caila can pick-up the shift from Chris, and the system automatically checks to make sure that the switch is in accordance with labor laws, required skill-sets, etc.
This is just one example of how ESS can make life easier, and more fulfilling, for your store associates. ESS also allows associates to:
- View their weekly/monthly schedules
- Add/edit their time-off requests
- View their accrual balances
- Issue sick-leave notifications
- Request vacation
- View timecard details, such as raw punches, audit, special pay, and warnings.
Beyond the technical benefits that ESS provides associates and managers, ESS also modernizes employee engagement. As Millennials and younger generations become a greater proportion of your workforce, they demand the tools to have a better work-life balance. ESS is a step in the right direction to better engage and better equip these newer workers to remain engaged, enthusiastic, and ambitious in a retail environment. As Millennial workers feel they have greater control over their schedules and work-life balance, their loyalty to your company increases.
At the end of the day, store managers still hold responsibility for what happens in their stores. After shift-swaps or shift-requests are made and accepted by store associates, all the information is provided to store managers to make the final decision. Store managers can see things such as the skills and certifications that the associates requesting the swap have. Managers, taking all of the information into account, make the final decision for approving the changes if they are in the best interest of the store.
The Reflexis Employee Self-Service module gives associates greater control over their schedules and frees managers to focus on what they do best – provide excellent customer service. Add ESS to your store system to increase store manager productivity, boost employee morale, increase sales, and create a better work-life balance for store associates.